- 1 bunch leafy greens (spigarello, kale, spinach, bok choy etc)
- 1 1/2 - 2 lb Long Squash quartered and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 4-5 green chiles If you want a spicy dish, chop one up, otherwise leave all whole. Sliced green bell peppers can also be used for a mild dish.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 Tbsp ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed ground
- salt to taste
- rice to serve with!
- Wash and chop the leafy greens. Chop the long squash.
- Heat a sautee pan and 1 T olive oil. Add the chopped opo squash and whole chilies. Cook for a few minutes, then add chopped leafy greens.
- Cook a minute or two longer, being sure to fold the squash over the greens so they cook.
- Add the turmeric powder and salt, stir it in until thoroughly mixed, and then cover the pan. The salt will cause the veggies to release water into the pan, which becomes the base of the sauce for this dish.
- Cook for 15 min, or until the squash and greens are cooked but not mushy.
- In a frying pan or a pot large enough to hold the squash mixture, heat 2 T olive oil. Add the ground mustard seeds and fry for 10-15 seconds. Add the minced ginger, and then pour the squash mixture into the oil and spice mixture. Mix well.
- Thicken the sauce with the thickener of your choice. Heat and stir constantly until the sauce is thickened. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Serve with rice.
Share this Recipe