- 6 Tbsp olive
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 lb long beans ends trimmed, beans cut into 5-inch lengths
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 28-oz. can whole tomatoes with juices, crushed by hand
- 2 Tbsp mint chopped leaves
- In a large sauté pan, add 3 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Set over medium heat and cook, stirring, until garlic is lightly golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add long beans and raise heat to high. Cook, stirring, until beans are bright green and beginning to sear, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomatoes to pan. Add 1/2 cup water to empty tomato can, swish it around to pick up any extra tomato juices and pulp, and add to the pan. Bring to a simmer.
- Lower heat to maintain simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until beans are very tender throughout and tomato has reduced to a thick sauce, about 30 minutes. Add more water, if necessary, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent tomatoes from scorching during cooking.
- Stir in mint and remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm. Alternatively, chill in refrigerator, then serve chilled or at room temperature, or rewarm before serving.
Share this Recipe