- 1 cup barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb turnips halved or quatered
- 1 lb greens, chopped spigarello, kale, swiss chard, turnip or mustard greens
- 1/3 + 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp thyme chopped
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 onion chopped. Or shallot
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp honey
- In a medium saucepan combine 2 1/2 cups of water, 2 teaspoons of salt and bay leaf, bring to boil. Add barley and cook over low heat till the grains are tender but still chewy, about 45 minutes. Drain well, set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the dijon mustard, lemon juice and honey. Gradually whisk in ⅓ cup of olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Pour half the dressing over the cooling barley.
- In a large saute pan, heat ¼ cup oil over medium heat, add the onions or shallots, turnip and chopped thyme. Cook over moderate heat until the turnips are browned and just tender, about 10 minutes. Add the chopped greens and cook until just wilted and tender, another 5-8 minutes. Add the cooked turnips and greens to the barley, pour on remaining dressing, toss well, season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve warm as a side dish or room temperature as a salad.
Share this Recipe