- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp cardamon
- 4 medium eggplants halved lengthwise
- coarse salt
- 1 small shallot thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 pint golden or red cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 medium cucumbers thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves chopped
- 1 lemon zest of
- 1 cup whole fat Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp water
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and garlic; set aside for 20 minutes to allow the garlic to infuse into the oil. In a separate bowl, combine the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, red pepper flakes and cardamom.
- Using a pairing knife, score the flesh of each eggplant, making crisscross marks, each ½-inch apart. Sprinkle the spice mix over the eggplant halves and drizzle each half with the garlic-infused olive oil.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Place the eggplant flesh-side down and cook, turning once until tender and charred, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the eggplant is cooking, place the shallots in a medium bowl with the vinegar and allow them to macerate until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cucumbers and parsley and season with salt. Toss and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the lemon zest, yogurt and water and set aside.
- To serve, spoon a dollop of yogurt on 4 plates. Place two halves of eggplant over the yogurt and top with a little tomato-cucumber salad. Drizzle with more oil and garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
Share this Recipe