- 1 1/2 cup elbow macaroni or other small pasta
- 1 1/2 cup mushrooms cleaned and chopped
- 4 jalapeño finely chopped
- 3 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 3 cup milk
- 1 cup grated cheese Choice of cheese or a mix
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook macaroni until al dente, according to instructions on the package. Once cooked, strain and rinse under cold water
- In a large non-stick pan, add a tablespoon of butter and saute the mushrooms on high heat for 2-3 minutes. Take them out in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, add remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp butter and flour. Slowly add milk while whisking it into the flour to make sure there are no lumps. Increase the heat, and keep whisking till the mixture comes to a boil. Add chopped Jalapenos and mix. Lower the heat and cook for 3-4 minutes till the sauce thickens up and it's consistency is almost like heavy cream.
- Add salt, pepper and cheese. Stir, the as soon as the cheese starts melting, add mushrooms and macaroni and mix gently.
- Adjust salt and spice levels (add some more chopped Jalapenos if you like it more spicy) and serve hot.
Share this Recipe