The combination of lettuce, tomatoes, and cilantro in the Feb. 2-3 bag makes me think Mexican! So in that spirit, I’m posting a few Mexican- and South American-inspired dishes. Cucumbers make me think of refreshing summer drinks so a few of those recipes appear too. And remember, we are now selling locally raised beef from the Big Island.
Use your Green Growers tomatoes and Nalo Greens cilantro (and maybe some avocados left over from the Jan. 26-27 bag?)
4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-2 jalapeÃ±o peppers, minced
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large green bell pepper, halved crosswise and thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced white onion
- 1/4 cup quartered green olives
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Place tilapia in a medium skillet. Cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. View full recipe.
Picadillo This is a Cuban recipe, not South American, but it’s a wonderful dish. Use your tomatoes in this one, serve with rice and black beans, and have the leftovers in a tortilla with some lettuce the next day!
Cucumber Sandwiches The pictures of these sandwiches are great and making me hungry….
Refreshing Cucumber Water An innovative way to use up some cucumber and it’s good for you!
Cucumber Cocktail…with rum Uses your cilantro too!
Cucumber Cocktail…with vodka If you have mint leftover from last week this one is perfect!
Tangelo Scones This recipe calls for 6 Tangelos so you may need to cut in half.
Enjoy your bag and please let us know about your creations!